Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Happy belated birthday ...

...to Mary, Mother of God!  Yesterday was the Feast of the Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary ... a celebration in the Catholic Church and a Marian feast day.  We had a wonderful day ... morning Mass, van re-check (I HATE getting my car hit as it takes FOREVER for things to be right), library run, grocery run and home for school-work, read-aloud, and playing time.

Lest you think I forgot the Blessed Mother in all this fun and frolicking, I didn't ... instead I whipped up a tasty treat that will be used often for Marian feasts (and there are many and since my name is "Mary", I claim 'em all). 

I call this treat "Cool Mint Pie" ... 

Ingredients:
  • 1 chocolate cookie crust (I used an Oreo one but you could certainly make your own; make a graham cracker crust recipe, just substitute chocolate wafers or oreo cookies)
  • 1 bottle of Smucker's Magic Shell (Chocolate Fudge)
  • 1 16-oz container Cool Whip, thawed
  • 1 cup Breyer's Chocolate Chip ice cream, softened
  • 3 cup Breyer's Fat-free Vanilla ice cream (which is amazingly healthy AND tasty!), softened
  • blue food coloring -- about 5 drops or more, depending on how blue you'd like it
  • pure mint extract -- 1 tsp
Prep chocolate-cookie crust by spreading the Magic Shell (I used about half the bottle) on bottom and up sides of crust.  Place in freezer while mixing up the other ingredients.

Place whipped topping, ice creams, mint extract in a bowl and mix together completely. Add blue food coloring, a drop at a time, until the mixture is  a cool-blue shade (think toothpaste). 

Whip all together completely and pour into chilled crust.  Squirt remaining Magic Shell across top of pie -- I used just about the whole bottle on this, but you can certainly use less if you're not as into chocolate as we are!

Chill pie for at least 4 hours, or till solid.  Remove from freezer about 5 (if a WARM day like we had) or 10 minutes before serving and serve up slices. 

It is SOOOO good .... guess what I'm having for lunch today?

So Happy Birthday, Blessed Mother and please pray for us all!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment