Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Yarn-along: March 30th ... new design and new book ....

~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs. I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading? Take a single photo and share it either on your blog or on Flickr. Leave a link below to share your photo with the rest of us! ~ Ginny at small things


 This week's yarn-along finds us with a new design on the needles and a new book on my table.  The new design (close-up below) is a spring-shawl in a fun lacy pattern.  The yarn is fingering weight cashmere/bamboo from Spring Gate Farms (whose yarn is gorgeous -- she'll be at the Olde Liberty Fibre Faire -- as will I -- on April 16th if you want to head down for some fun and a good cause ... all proceeds from the Faire will go to area hospice!).  The idea from the shawl came from a question from Ginny ... so it's quite appropriate that it's presented here on her Yarn-Along!  
BTW, to get the nice airy look and wonderful drape, I'm using a size 8 on this yarn.  The bamboo gives the cashmere enough body to really show the stitch definition.

On the book table -- we're continuing to read-aloud the Another Whole Nother Story ... which my kids have deemed even better than the first book, A Whole Nother Story (which ranks right up there as a fabulous read-aloud).  Another one we're delving into that is great fun is M.B. Synge's A Book of Discovery -- wonderful short readings for history/geography!

In yesterday's mail, I received my newest reading book ... one for review for Thomas Nelson's Book Sneeze program.  Titled, No He Can't: How Barack Obama is dismantling hope and change, this book is written by Kevin McCullogh and details not just how Mr. Obama's administration is taking away our hope and changing what is good, but also gives suggestions on how to stop the hemorrhaging in economics, national security, human rights and accountability.  I went to bed at 8:30 last night so I could get reading this one!  It is really good.

Won't you join the yarn-along.  Check out Ginny's post and add your own link.  And let me know what you think about the burgeoning design by adding a comment at the bottom of this post!

Off to read and knit before the squidges get up!
 

5 comments:

  1. The yarn you are using looks wonderful and I bet it knits like a dream, great color too.
    Warmly,
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    I did wing it...I have made many dish towels...so I just knitted a large dish towel (I think I casted on 40) added a few holes and buttons and then I had a swifter pad:)

    I am new to knitting... I am self taught last year. I like to see what new things I can make for around my home.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty pattern and such a nice mossy green color! I now a whole pile of people that will be interested in your latest read...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The A(nother) Whole Nother Story is looking really interesting! I have seen it popping up on the Yarn Along, and may have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Whole Nother Story sounds really good, I'll have to check it out - thanks!

    ReplyDelete