Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Yarn Along: March 2nd edition


Well, since my two-week hiatus from the internet, I've missed a couple of yarn-alongs.  My last one was February 9th ... and I mentioned reading Sweater Quest as I'd heard good things about it.  Don't waste your time -- she's got great info about fair-isle knitting, but it's random and rude, the language is a bit much (she swears alot in her writing!) and she jumps on the "dissing Alice Starmore" bandwagon.  Carmen, you were right ... I guess I should listen to you more, huh?  I hate when books let me down.

At least I was able to post the design for Victoria's Tee that I'd been working on for numerous yarn-alongs during the hiatus!

 This week finds me working away at a Snow on the Mountains vest in cashmere (a commission project).  This raspberry cashmere is almost idential in color to the "Victoria's Tee" ... must be the new popular color. 

The kids and I are reading Eion Colfer's Airman ... now this is a great read!  Set in Ireland in the early 1900s, it's a bit of Man in the Iron Mask but with great early aviation tidbits.  All of us are really enjoying it.  I'm in the middle of Linking Your Beads: the Rosary's History, Mystery and Prayers which is really well-done.  I'm learning tons about the rosary -- something that wasn't taught in my years of Catholic-school education (since I was in school during the post-Vatican 2, enlightened period in San Francisco!).  I'm also working my way through St. Louis Marie deMontfort's Total Consecration so that I can do my consecration to Jesus thru Mary on my wedding anniversary: March 25th (Feast of the Annunciation!).

So how is your knitting and reading week going?  Check out Ginny's yarn-along post and add your own link.  Don't forget to check out all the lovely ladies doing the same ... it's great fun and you'll get great ideas for books to read (or read-aloud!).

11 comments:

  1. Thank you Mary for the kind words. Your knitting is so very beautiful. I don't know if I will ever be able to knit something like that, but I hope to at least finish this sweater.
    Warmly,
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! Your projects are always inspiring for my "I'd like to do that someday file". That pink is a lovely color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful knit pattern :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The vest is turning out beautifully. Lace takes such concentration for me so I am just not able to knit it these days. I can enjoy it through others like you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely colour! And the pattern is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The rosary book sounds great. Oh, I love that you are doing your consecration on your wedding anniversary and the annunciation - what a blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pattern for the vest is beautiful and the yarn looks so soft.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Alice Starmore's patterns. I've made one of her celtic cable sweaters. I would love to have time to do more. Paula

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is some beautiful knitting! And I love your header photo...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The vest is beautiful & I really like the pattern. Thank you for the recommendation of Airman, I think my daughter & I would really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the vest is coming along beautifully, love the color!

    ReplyDelete