Pages

Friday, July 23, 2010

Review: Angel Song

Have you ever heard a snippet of song ... a haunting melody in a time of stress or joy ... a tune that you just can't shake?  That's the problem (which becomes a gift) for interior designer Anne Fletcher, the heroine of the latest summer fiction book I've read:  Angel Song by Sheila Walsh & Kathryn Cushman. 

This book is a great read ... one of the plethora of angel-based stories prevalent in today's Christian fiction market.  This one, though, is a step up from many with good plotting, excellent characterization, and a believable and emotionally-affecting story about God and faith and love.  Written by two Christian writers, this story kept me reading and turning the page and crying and smiling and just reveling in the fact that I was reading a good book.  I loved the way Anne's character slowly finds her faith ... slowly fixes her life ... slowly realizes that her stubborn pride are holding her back.  The other characters, particularly that of the young Down Syndrome boy who also hears angels, are not cloyingly sweet but rather just really good Southern characters who take the New York edge off Anne, like peeling an onion, slowly but surely until the book's end.

The authors have a slightly different take on faith than my Catholic one, but the story is a worthwhile read and the differences are minor and don't take anything away from the fact that this is one of those I'll pass on to my daughters ... a book to be read by others to show that trying to do it all on our own is not God's way ... and ends up leading to catastrophes rather than the faith-filled journey God desires for us all.

Highly recommend this one for ages high school and up ...

This book was sent me as part of Thomas Nelson's Book Sneeze program.  The review is my honest opinion based on my reading of this charming novel.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment